Sunday, November 26, 2023

9 Things about the MSHSL Prep Bowl (MN High School Football Championships)

 My first Prep Bowl was in 1989 when my school Waterville-Elysian High School was in the Class C championship game against Mahnomen.  My school turned the ball over seven times and still won.  I remember the green turf of the Metrodome and how cool it was to see football that was normally played on a grass field in a town of 1,600 people moved to that rock hard green putting green turf concrete.  The game ending can be watched on youtube at 1989 Prep Bowl 

 I've been back a few times, but now it is played at US Bank Stadium and this year I made it to my probably crazy goal to stay for an entire day of football.  Four games.  Twelve hours later.  Here are nine things I noticed.

1. In and out wristband

     I did not take advantage of this, but probably would have after I ate at the stadium later on in the day.  It's cool that they allow you to exit and return.  It would be hard to make it too far without missing some plays, but a good idea for sure.  

2. Food Choices and Expenses

     The overall expense for the day was very reasonable.  Of course I was by myself, but the ticket was $16, the parking was $15, the super overpriced burger, fries, and twenty ounce pop was $21, so it was only $52.  I did eat after I left at the end of the day on the way home.  Perhaps a sub or sandwich from the car with the wristband would be a better option?  Not bad though the way it was.  

3. Replay

     I was unaware that the replay was in effect and it was more prevalent than I thought it was be.  Quite a few plays were reviewed and the fans get to see all of the replays on the screens as well.  I'm not sure if they got all of them correct and it seems that they do need pylon cameras for the goal-line plays.  I was surprised it was used at all, but it you are going to do it, then do it the best way possible.  

 Was he in or out?

 4. 6A fan bases are different

     The game between Centennial and Edina was crazy.  It came down to a 2-pt conversion decision and it was not successful, so 28-27 ending.  However, I was on the Centennial side for the 1st half and it was the only fan base that annoyed me throughout the day.  I moved twice, first to move away from the fan section, because of a teacher that was driving me nuts trying to coordinate the group that didn't need help.  Second, I ended up by a guy vaping and a group that came in from a bar and was just obnoxious.  Edina was down by 14 in the fourth and many of them bailed and went home, missing the great ending.  Small town teams stay until the end of games from what I witnessed, even if they were down big. 

5. Commercials

     There are a lot of commercials and they are long.  That's all I have to say about that.   

6. Generational Risks for coaches

     The Edina decision to go for the win was gutsy to say the least, but the what ifs of taking it into OT will live on forever with that team.  High school football can have crazy endings.  

 6A highlights

7. School bands

     The pep bands were good throughout the day.  My favorite was Edina and they were good.  

8. Might be a meme?

     I did drift off into dreamland for a little bit during the third game.  I'm hoping I wasn't on the big screen with my bobblehead motion.  If you see me online, let me know.  

9. US Bank Stadium

     A few years ago I thought it would be awesome to see the stadium in a more relaxed setting than a packed NFL game.  I was right, when you go to the prep bowl you can get down to the field level and in almost any section of the lower deck.  I move around a bit to get more angles and views.  It's just a cool place to spend some time. 

Just for fun, here's the 1999 game for WEM.  Maybe one of the first teams to go no huddle with wristbands?  Not sure.  



No comments:

Post a Comment