Thursday, November 8, 2012

Challenge and Conferences


Here's the answer, the winner of the contest for the closest guess is Allison H.  She guessed 425 and the answer was, well watch the video to find out.  :)

The interesting thing about the guesses is that almost no one guessed a number that didn't end in 0 or 5. I hope they just thought I was using only exact rolls and went from there.  However, I did not, I filled it up.  Many, many guesses of 400.

Awesome job, they explained to me in class today that the reason they chose 400 ranged from estimating, figuring out the ratio, measuring, and even setting up a formula where "x" was the variable for space left in the jar.

My goal was to get them to think and explain math in their own terms without a book problem, but with  a video example.  I think it worked!  :)

Conferences are tonight and also Tuesday, hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment