Thursday, November 1, 2012

Chapter 3 Test and End of Term 1

Greetings and good morning!  Today is a busy day in class.  We are doing the following:

1.  Giving back yesterday's tests on decimals.  If someone was absent or did not finish, they will finish today.  I am reteaching all sections as we go through them and I am showing the students common errors that I saw.

2.  This year in math we have a writing prompt grade and today's topic is "Explain how you solve a long division problem."  We're looking to improve their ability to clearly say what they are doing and showing evidence that they really understand not just how, but why.  This is also a skill needed on the WKCE tests that are coming up Nov. 12-15th.

I demonstrated a simple addition problem 2 + 3 = 5

"To find the answer to the addition problem I looked at the addends two and three to equal five.  If I needed to check the answer I could do the inverse operation of subtraction."

This is much better than what I normally see: "I just got the answer."

3. We are taking a short assessment of all Term 1 material on Friday.  It will be Chapters 1, 2, and 3.

4. Also, at conferences I am going to give all students their login information for xtramath.org

5. The end of the term is Monday, November 5th.

No comments:

Post a Comment